Friday 20 March 2015

DIY Wall Hanging/ Throw

Good evening, 
The days are beginning to feel warmer, and you have no idea how happy that makes me! I have been waiting patiently but have not been too successful!



Right then on to today. I'm going to do something a bit different from my usual blabbing posts... a tutorial. 
Now I am, I think, by nature quite a creative person and I did once consider becoming an interior designer, until I realised I would have to do what the client wanted, so that was out of the picture! 
I looked around for a while, to purchase throw/ Wall hanging but never quite found what I was looking for so I decided to make my own. 

Equipment

Polycotton - Depending on how large you want your throw to be... I used 2 metres.

Fabric paint- I went for white but any colour will be acceptable. 

Sponge

Cardboard

Sewing Machine

Craft Knife

Method

1. Hem the edges, to neaten using a sewing machine (optional) 

2. Choose your design, and print a copy in the correct size... to start with keep it simple (you will need to cut it out later)

3. Trace your design onto a piece of thin cardboard (cereal box)

4. Using a craft knife cut out the interior of you design... this will be where the paint will print. Leave a border around it.

5. Lay out your fabric after ironing (with newspaper underneath)

6. Place your stencil, on fabric, and whilst holding it, sponge the paint in the space. If it moves and smudges use something to hold it down, around the edges, ( I used a bottomless tart tin)

7. Allow to dry once you have covered the fabric, to the desired effect. 

8. And ta, da!

I hope this works! If you have any questions, please ask in the comments.
Finished!









Floss xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment